There are several dilutions, patterns and modifiers that can affect the color of chestnut horses.
- cream gene on chestnut produces palomino or cremello
- champagne gene on chestnut produces gold champagne
- dun gene on chestnut produces red dun
- Face Markings on chestnut: star, blaze, stripe, snip or bald
- Leg Markings on chestnut: coronet, sock, stocking, race
- Pinto on chestnut: overo, sabino, splash, tobiano, tovero
- Leopard Complex on chestnut: leopard, snowflake, blanket, varnish
- Roan on chestnut produces strawberry roan or lilac roan
- Grey on chestnut produces a horse that gradually lightens to dapple grey, fleabitten rose grey or white grey.
Chestnut is a stub.